1/20/09

Inauguration Day

Today was an amazing day. 

I always say that observing politics is my strange little hobby. Maybe it is because I enjoy history, maybe its because I was a journalism student. Regardless of why, I usually stay current with what is going on in the world of politics and government. Yet, I spend most of my time in this hobby with an analytical or critical temperament. This is most likely because the lens with which I view the world is theological--focused by my faith.  And the ways of my faith do not always correspond with the ways of the world. 

My identity as a Christian surpasses any other label that might be assigned to my being; Democrat, Libertarian, Republican, even American. Therefore, I do not ascribe to any party and view my citizenship in this land second place to my citizenship in the Kingdom to which I have been baptized. And so I show no loyalty to any flag or president. I follow only one King and Lord. 

Yet today, I was moved by the historic events I witnessed with friends and the rest of the world. The peaceful transfer of power from one party/government to another (that does not happen in many places in the world). The inauguration of an African American President (sorry Morgan Freeman, love ya, but your term was fictional). A call to greatness for a people (in so many ways, it is a new day for this nation). 

And still it was a day of mixed emotion. I found myself critical of aspects the language used and the pomp ans circumstance seen. As powerful as today was, I was also reminded that regardless of who is president, regardless of when I agree or disagree with him -- I will remain living in the tension of my dual citizenship. And my loyalty will always be first and foremost to my King. 

Partly sunny, 20°

No comments: